Thursday 13 June 2013

S12 Ep.3: Rosie's Funfair Special

THESE ARE SOLEY MY OPINIONS AND NOT FROM THE THOMAS & FRIENDS FAN BASE

ROSIE'S FUNFAIR SPECIAL
Written by
Andrew Viner

Directed by
Steve Asquith 

Air Date:
3/09/08

Plot:
Emily was chosen to take the funfair special and Rosie to be the back engine. But Rosie wanted to take the train. She then thought to take the funfair train and Emily can take the milk to high farm. But the trucks came loose as Emily was already coupled to the train. Then a few mishaps happened and Rosie put things right. 

PRO:
- Rosie having an episode to herself 
- An episode focusing on the two female engines

CON:
- Stepney's pointless appearance 

I find this episode to be enjoyable. It was interesting to see an episode focusing on two female engines without any sign of Thomas being shore-horned in for a pointless part of the episode. To me, I think Rosie is probably one of the best female characters the series had introduced. She's energetic, determined and wants to work hard and that is a good sign for a role model for the female audience from the target range of the show. I like Emily, around 7th series, though when you think about it Emily was pretty much the same before her persona was butchered up as a bossy and mean engine
(e.g - Thomas' Milkshake Muddle).

But there is one downside to the episode and that is Stepney cameo. It was nice seeing him return, but I'll be honest, it was pointless and they could've chose a different character for the cameo. I said before and I'll say it again, character returns do not make the episode or series great, only the story. I'm pretty sure most of the fans know that by now. But the writer is a fan of the RWS and I think maybe that's why he put him in?

But in the end, the episode was nice and enjoyable and much of a favourite to me. Hopefully there's an episode with female characters as the lead role in the new and improved series.

Rating: 4/5