Tuesday 28 February 2012

S16 Ep 13: Sodor Surprise Day

Week have two have passed and their have been some good episodes and some bad episodes and here are my ratings from the second week of the new series:

Flash Bang Wallop!:
4/5

Thomas and The Rubbish Train:
2/5

Thomas Toots The Crows
2/5

Bust My Buffers:
4/5

Percy and The Calliope:
2.5/5

Thomas and The Sounds of Sodor:
1/5

Salty's Surprise:
3/5

Well the third and final week is here for Australia and England is now in their second week of Season 16. It looks promising with the new electric engine, Stafford, a new track inspector, Winston and the return of the Skarloey Railway engines and the Thin Controller, Mr. Percival. Today's episode that I'll be reviewing will be:

SODOR SURPRISE DAY

Written by Jessica Kedward & Kristy Peart
Directed by Greg Tirenan
Produced by Nicole Stinn

Plot:
Today is Sodor Surprise Day, and the engines are all looking forward to having fun surprising each other. Except for Gordon. He thinks it's just silly!


THESE ARE SOLEY UNDER MY OWN OPINIONS AND NOT FROM THE THOMAS & FRIENDS FAN BASE

THESE MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

PRO:
- Callan Castle makes it return apperance once again
- Harold looks amazing with fairy lights surrounding him
- Rosie gets a speaking part in this episode

CON:
- Whiff's UK voice is annoying, to be honest.
- Wouldn't it be obvious to Gordon that he can see Thomas near Whiff and the Docks?
- Charlie returns again, but only in one scene.
- Of course, this 'new series' episode wouldn't be a series without the annoying 'three strikes your out' formula.

To be honest, I found this episode weak. "Weak as water" in the words of Mrs. Slocombe from 'Are You Being Served?', one of my favourite British comedy shows. The animation and angles, amazing as always, but that doesn't mean the episode is great. I know I should of mentioned this in my 'Thomas and The Rubbish Train' review, but I seriously don't like Whiff's UK voice, I'm not against the voice actor on this, I think Whiff should sound like an East-End Londener. One my least favourite engines, Charlie, is back again, it's the character that I don't like, he is never seen doing work, sure he may have done in the past in a few episodes, but he doesn't too often. And as always there is the annoying three strikes formula.

I found this weak really, but the ending seems OK with Harold being covered in fairy lights and the opening shot was brilliant with Lord Callan's castle and the trees surrounding it, giving it a Scottish highlands look.

Rating: 2/5